Background Checks & Clearances
Below you will find directions for how to acquire your PA State Police Clearance, Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Clearance.
MASD Volunteer Clearance Information
As you are aware, clearance requirements for school volunteers have changed due to the Child Protective Services law, which requires all school volunteers to renew their clearances (State Police, Child Abuse, and FBI) every 60 months.
Here are some helpful hints to assist you in this process.
PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK INSTRUCTIONS
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Website: https://epatch.pa.gov/home
- Please select “New Record Check (Volunteers only)” when you enter the site and start the process. This process is no charge for volunteer purposes.
PENNSYLVANIA CHILD ABUSE HISTORY CLEARANCE INSTRUCTIONS
- Child Abuse History Clearance Website: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
- You will first create an individual account and then login to complete your request. When completing this clearance application, please select “Volunteer” as the reason for the request. Once you select the volunteer option, select “Other” as the Volunteer Category and as the Agency Name you can enter Mechanicsburg Area School District. This process is no charge for volunteer purposes.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI) BACKGROUND CHECK INSTRUCTIONS
- FBI Background Check Website: https://uenroll.identogo.com/
- The cost for this clearance is $23.25. When completing this online application, please enter 1KG6ZJ as your Service Code. You will pre-register online and then pay (no cash or personal checks) once you get fingerprinted. You will choose the location that is most convenient to you when you pre-register. Bring your confirmation sheet and your form of identification that you choose during your pre-registration process. Volunteers are governed under the Child Protective Services Laws (CPSL), individuals volunteering in a school would be required to obtain a DHS (Department of Human Services) clearance
- DHS will provide the document directly to the applicant. Once the applicant receives this clearance, they will provide a copy to our district. The school district will NOT have access to pull this information.
- Typically applicants will receive their clearance information within a week of fingerprint date, however there could be delays depending on review status. For an update of the clearance status, you can contact DHS directly at 1-877-371-5422, option #4.
Keep a copy of all three clearances for your personal records before forwarding the clearances to Human Resources.
NOTE: The FBI background check is not required if you have been a resident of PA for the entirety of the previous 10 years or if you have obtained a FBI clearance at any time since establishing residency in PA. If you meet these criteria, a volunteer verification form (page 9 of the Volunteer Handbook) is required in lieu of the FBI clearance.
Please do not wait until the last minute to fulfill this requirement.
We appreciate your prompt attention to this very important matter.